Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day

I sat last evening with a great deal of pride and remorse as the summer season unofficially came to a close. Looking back over the summer, I accomplished many business, family and personal agenda items. A list is never finished, but many items that were to be completed are now a memory. I feel real good about the list of accomplishments.

I looked back last evening with sadness. Many questioned the lack of summer season, which when you look at the statistics and reached more for a jacket in July more times than you cared for, then I could see people's points. I actually didn't mind the weather. Sure the tomatoes and other garden produce are weeks behind, the crops didn't produce as much and the kids didn't swim as much as they normally do, but it was still summer.

And that's what I'll miss the most: the freedom which the summer gives us. The reading we can't get in, the picnics, family visits, vacations, heck, the recreation and ultimately the freedom to choose your own schedule.

Now that school is in session, I'm back to a set schedule. I'm a habitual creature, so this appeals to me. However, I'll miss waking up to the call of a wren, the 4th of July fireworks, playing a motley of games with my sons and of course taking a nap when the moment presents itself.

With one chapter complete, comes another chapter ready to pen. Here's to the next new chapter in this story. I look forward to working with all of you as we work together to help grow our young people to be the leaders of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment